Choosing your wedding photographer
On the off chance, since I don’t usually watch those kinds of programs, I saw 10 minutes of a casting on TV, and I was intrigued by the question that the judges posed to the aspiring artists:
– “Why should we choose you instead of one of the other contenders?”
Listening to their answers, which were very diverse, I thought of my potential clients:
– “Why should they choose me instead of another photographer for their marriage?”
I thought about it a bit and decided that, if I was asked that question, this is how I would respond:
- I am a professional who has done this for many years as my only source of income; it is my actual job (some people have asked me explicitly whether this is the case). I firmly believe that wedding photographer it is a job that must be done in the best way possible, putting in the maximum effort so that I can rest easy in the satisfaction of having met my clients’ needs.
- I stick to a code of ethics that I truly believe in. Above all, being professional means guaranteeing maximum reliability, honesty, and sincerity in business relationships. That is why I have been a part of the Associazione Nazionale Fotografi Matrimonialisti (Italian National Association of Wedding Photographers) for several years, also as a board member. It is a commitment that I took, along with esteemed friends and colleagues who, like me, believe in our profession, to grow and maintain the high level of marriage photography in Italy, which there is a real need of, now more than ever.
- I invest time and money in training courses, meetings, and workshops. I constantly follow the work of fellow professionals from around the world and actively participate in several industry associations because I strongly believe that they stimulate me and help me grow. As well as feeding my personal passion, constantly staying up to date means I can offer a better product and also informs me about current market trends. Even though I have a characteristic style, this is always evolving. My job does not have a specific end goal; society and tastes change and therefore so does my way of taking photos, which is why I always have to stay up to date.
- I invest a lot in equipment and technology. I have to be able to guarantee the highest possible quality, both when taking and processing the photographs, which can only be done by staying up to date also on a technical/ technological level.
- As for the end products of my work, the albums and prints, I made a choice to print them myself. Photographs are for life, and so the quality of my work must meet this expectation: to last over time.
- I have a suitable space to comfortably show what I offer. In my studio, I display a collection of samples that is constantly being updated, to show you a wide selection of possibilities when it comes to albums and prints.
- I work with the utmost respect of Italian legislation and, like all professionals, I maintain fixed costs and expenses linked to the performance of my work.
- I am madly in love with my job. I put everything I have into it and would never change it, but I am also aware that it indeed works and not just play.
Take a look at my Real Wedding Collection
I hope that I have given you some ideas to help you choose your wedding photographer and, taking into account what I’ve written, shown the true economic value of hiring a professional.